ITIN Home Loan Program Information

ITIN loans

Updated 12/2/2023

If you are an undocumented immigrant and do not have a social security number and need a mortgage to purchase a home, there is a program for you. The ITIN home loan is the program you are looking for and it does not require a social security number. All you need is your ITIN Card (Individual Tax Identification Number) and you are on your way to home ownership. This ITIN loan program is available in all 50 states.

We have helped many immigrants with an ITIN number find a mortgage to purchase their dream home in the United States through this simple program that is easy to qualify for.

If you are already familiar with the ITIN loan program and want to get started, then complete this form.  Please feel comfortable knowing that our conversation with you is confidential and we can help you in all 50 states and there are Spanish speaking loan officers available.

We also work with realtors to help their clients get pre-approved so they can begin shopping for a home.

ITIN loans

What is an ITIN Loan

ITIN loans are designed for borrowers who do not have a social security number, but can provide an ITIN number as an alternative form of identification. You can expect a down payment of 15-25% and will need a 2 year work history.

ITIN Loan Pros and Cons ITIN Mortgages

Pros of an ITIN loan

  • No social security card is required
  • Traditional credit may not be required
  • No legal documents needed to prove US residency
  • The rates are better than hard money loans
  • It enables you to own a home in this country without documentation
  • Gift funds may be allowed to help with your down payment

Cons of an ITIN loan

  • The ITIN down payment requirements are higher
  • The ITIN rates are typically slightly than conventional mortgages
  • Some lenders do not allow ITIN loans for investment properties
  • Fixed rate mortgages are offered with various repayment terms.

ITIN Loan Requirements

These are the basic requirements needed to qualify for an ITIN loan

  • You must have at least 15% down payment depending upon your credit score. Gift funds may be accepted
  • You need a minimum of a two year work history (wither W2 or self employed) and one year proof of income.
  • Provide pay stubs for the past 30 days for W2 employees
  • Self employed can qualify using bank statements instead of tax returns. This is called a bank statement loan.
  • Some lenders will allow your debt to income ratio to be as high as 55%
  • Minimum credit score of 600. You can still qualify without a credit score.

*Spanish speaking loan officers are available. 

After an initial discussion, a loan officer can provide you with what you need to make your decision. If you decide to move forward, a closing is possible within 30 days.

What types of properties qualify for an ITIN loan?

Typically the following property types are accepted as long as you occupy them as your primary residence.

  • Single family homes
  • Condos
  • Townhomes
  • 2-4 unit residential buildings
  • Mobile Homes

If you are buying a second home or a rental property, we likely will have a lender who can help finance those properties as well.

Speak to Us Now About Your ITIN Home Loan

ITIN Loans for Self Employed

If you are self employed, you can get an ITIN loan. You will need to have been self employed for at least two years. You may also be an independent contractor who receives a 1099 form.

Tax returns will not be required but will need to provide 12 months bank statements to show deposits into your accounts. These deposits (or a portion of them) will be used as income on your loan application.

Other Factors that Can Help Qualify For Your ITIN Loan

In the lending business, things are not always perfect. At the same time, the lenders do allow for some compensating factors which can help you to qualify if you are not able to meet one of the requirements outlined above. They take other things into consideration which can help you. Therefore, we recommend that you look into these additional activities below.

  • Credit Cards – Many immigrants have not established credit in the United States and/or may not have a credit score. One of the things you should do is apply for one or two credit cards. Make a few purchases per month and then pay off the balance in full. This will help establish some type of credit record that lenders can review. It will make lenders feel comfortable about your ability and willingness to repay your debts.
  • Bank Accounts – Lenders like to see that you have some money saved. You will need a down payment for your ITIN Loan and you cannot come to the closing table with a shoe box full of money. So, get at least 1-2 bank accounts started. Try to keep your down payment money in that account and it should be there for at least 2-3 months BEFORE you apply for your ITIN Loan.
  • Employment – They will look at your employment history. Make sure that you keep a steady job at all times. No gaps in your employment and staying in the same type of work for a long time does help.
  • Alternative Credit Sources – Another thing you can do is provide statements from your utility company, phone company, insurance company, etc  showing that you are making payments on time. You could even ask them to provide you with a letter or a statement showing all of your on time payments.

ITIN Loan Down Payment Requirement

The minimum down payment requirement for an ITIN loan is 15% with excellent credit. Your credit score and the loan amount are the most important things that lenders consider when determining your down payment. The higher your credit score and the larger the loan amount, the greater the chances to reduce your down payment.

You may use a gift from a relative to help with the down payment. For example, if you need down payment of $20,000, a relative can provide you with half of that ($10,000) to help purchase the home. Let us help you to determine what your down payment will be based upon your loan scenario.

ITIN Loan Interest Rates

The interest rates for ITIN loans are competitive but they are not as low as Conventional or FHA loans. ITIN interest rates are still low but like any other mortgage program, the rate the lender will quote is closely tied to your credit score and down payment amount. The higher you score and the more you put down, the lower your rate will be.

If you are purchasing a home during a time when rates are higher, you are able to refinance when the rates come down without a prepayment penalty.

ITIN Mortgage Lenders

Home buyers with an ITIN number have difficulty finding a lender because conventional Fannie Mae Guidelines do not permit applicants with an ITIN number.

The ITIN mortgage lenders are accepting borrowers with ITIN numbers and they are holding the loan in their own portfolio. Therefore, they create their own requirements for ITIN loans. The requirements usually involve higher down payments and the ability to qualify using bank statements. 

There are many changes in the ITIN loan guidelines from the few lenders who offer the program. Depending upon your scenario, there may be a specific lender who can help you. Contact us here and we will help determine who the best ITIN lender is for you. Then, a bilingual loan officer will call you to help with your pre-approval.

ITIN Loans in California

ITIN loans are available in California where there are many ITIN card holders who wish to purchase a home. The down payment requirements in California for an ITIN loan are slightly different. The smallest down payment possible is 20%. We have multiple options to help you if you plan to purchase or refinance. 

Find a California ITIN Lender

ITIN Loans in Texas

Texas is another state where ITIN loans are very common. If you are an ITIN card holder and need help in Texas, then please complete this form so we can help you to get started or to simply get an ITIN rate quote.

In Texas, the minimum down payment today is 15%. The lending requirements are constantly changing so it will be helpful to check with us on what today’s requirements are. 

How to Get a Loan with an ITIN Number

If you have an ITIN number, you can get a loan by providing your ITIN identification, tax returns, pay stubs and two months of bank statements. If you are self employed, then you can get an ITIN loan using bank statements instead of tax returns.

Your first step is to contact us by completing this short form.

Can I Buy a House with an ITIN Number?

You can buy a house with an ITIN number by providing W2s from your job, or bank statements if you are self employed.


If you have an ITIN number, a 2 year work history, a down payment, and a minimum credit score of 600, then you can buy a home. If you do not have an ITIN number yet but need one, then you can complete this ITIN application at the IRS website.

ITIN Home Loans – Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Should I be concerned about being deported if I apply for an ITIN loan?

A: ITIN lenders only want to help with your mortgage and they do not communicate with the government about your residency status. Therefore, you should not be concerned about deportation.

Q: How much do I need for a down payment for an ITIN loan?

A: Usually a minimum of 15% down payment is required for an ITIN loan and that will depend upon the lender, your location and your credit scores.

Q: What kind of interest rates can I expect with an ITIN loan?

A: The interest rates for ITIN loans are slightly higher than if you were to apply with a social security number.

Q: Do I need to provide tax returns when applying for an ITIN loan?

A: You will need to provide tax returns for the past two years if you are a W2 wage earner. If you are self employed, no tax returns are needed.

Q: If I apply for an ITIN loan, will my information be reported to the US Immigration Services Dept?

A: The US Immigration Services Department will never see your loan application and they will not know you are buying a home.

Q: If you are not a citizen but pay taxes, can you get an ITIN mortgage?

A: If you are not a US citizen but you can document your income and meet the lender’s guidelines, then you can absolutely get an ITIN loan.

Click for an ITIN Mortgage Rate Quote

Related Articles

Foreign National Mortgages – If you are a foreign national, there are mortgage options for you as well. This article will guide you through the process.

What Do I Need to Get Pre-Approved For a Mortgage? – This article will detail all of the documents that will be needed in addition to your ITIN number.

How to Budget When Buying a Home – This article will help you to understand the budget needed to buy a home. This is in addition to the down payment requirements that were outlined above.

We are able to help you to find an ITIN loan with the best ITIN lenders in the following states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming.

ITIN loans